Skip to Content


Prince Edward Island & Lillio Academy

Can I use Lillio Academy for PD hours in Prince Edward Island?

Yes! Lillio Academy courses meet the standards of professional development outlined by the Government of PEI, Department of Education and Lifelong Learning. Courses are approved case-by-case by the Early Learning and Childcare Board, Department of Education and Early Childhood Development. Providers should contact Monique McClean at, Manager of Early Learning and Child Care.  

Sign up for Lillio Academy to complete your professional development hours at your convenience! You can work at your own pace from wherever you want. Once you complete a course, you can download your certificate! 

Prince Edward Island Childcare Training Requirements: 

In Prince Edward Island, the supervisor and one staff member in centers for children 0-5 need a one-year ECE certificate. Childcare staff are certified according to the requirements of the license by facility type. An early childhood center requires a Type I license; a family child care home or school-age child care center requires a Type II license. A minimum of 45 hours of professional development is required in the three-year certificate period in order to recertify.

  • In Type I centers, the center supervisor and one full-time staff member require at least a one-year early childhood development diploma or equivalent. Depending on education and experience, an individual may be certified as an early childhood program staff or an early childhood supervisor. The center supervisor is required to hold an EC supervisor certificate.

  • In Type II centers, the supervisor and one staff person require successful completion of one unit of continuing education (defined as a one-semester relevant university/college course) and provide two supporting letters of reference.

Click here to learn more about the courses Lillio Academy offers that cover required training topics! 

Opening a facility or beginning work in the childcare field:

If you are interested in opening a child care program or working in the child care field, please contact your state licensing agency for the specific requirements, rules, and regulations of your state. The Prince Edwards Island licensing website can be found here.

Last Updated: May 2024

Though Lillio attempts to maintain accurate and up-to-date information, educators are individually responsible for understanding the submission and approval process of all professional development and licensing work in their state.

Browse Courses